Thursday 9 January 2014

The first patches

Large sheet of iron on fabric.
 I have so far purchased three large patches from ebay, and have recently received my first order from Spoonflower. So I visited a local arts and crafts store today - Berkhamsted Arts and Crafts who were very helpful and gave me lots of advice. I came away with suitable fabric glue (some need alot of heat, and may damage the jacket), and a large sheet of iron on adhesive fabric. This, when ironed on gives the printed patches a firmer backing.


 I then cut a piece out, and placed it, shiny side against the back of my sheet of printed patches.

 Now iron it on. The advice on the fabric was 8 seconds, but I glided over thoroughly after the 8 seconds were up.
 I then have my sheet of printed badges, firmly adhered to a backing.
I then did a small patch test with the fabric glue on the inside of the jacket - there is a small amount of the outer material inside the jacket. I will come back to this to check for suitability and adherence before proceeding to attach these.


 And my five printed patches, are now looking great with the ones I purchased from Ebay.

My next step is to continue working on my Ace applique for the back of the jacket, and when the one I have ordered from Spoonflower arrives, I will compare the two, and decide which one to go with, and continue to Ebay for pins and badges. Oh yeah, and buy safety pins!




No comments:

Post a Comment